London Heathrow Security
Getting through security at Heathrow Airport may seem like a daunting thought to some, but it needn’t be! This page should hopefully answer some of those questions about what you can and can’t take on board, but first, we’ll start with this one; “how long should I give myself to get through the airport?”
Well, to allow yourself sufficient time to check-in, get through security and make your way to the gate, as well as spend a little time in Duty Free of course, we’d advise allowing yourself the following times;
Heathrow Hand Luggage – What you can and can’t pack
Heathrow Airport Security – additional things to note:
Heathrow Liquid Allowance:
- Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic.
- Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger).
Please note: Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. However, depending on the airline, it may be required to be placed within your hand luggage when boarding the plane.
All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened, including.
- Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs.
- Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. (A laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin)
All shops and catering outlets are open to all passengers. Hand baggage is now allowed BUT any liquids and gels must be packed into your hold luggage for check-in. Any other purchases must fit into your hand baggage.
All shops and catering outlets are open to all passengers. Passengers can take all items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin unless you are travelling to the USA. For more information, please visit www.tsa.gov.
What to do if a Security or Immigration guard is rude at the airport?
- Unfortunately, passengers are in a rush and security have an important job to do… often they don’t go together well.
- It’s difficult to judge because airport security officers have to perform pat-downs, it’s part of their job. And often they may be ruder than your average customer service representative because they’re doing an important job and need to be authoritative.
- However, if you have experienced unnecessary rudeness or wish to make a complaint, you can contact their complaints body
Duty Free and Departure Lounge Purchases
Presents and Gifts
You may think you’re being super prepared by pre-wrapping any gifts you may be taking abroad, but we’re afraid to say that you’ll be wasting your time! Pre-wrapped gifts will be subject to further security checks and will be unwrapped by staff at security.
Heathrow Airport Prohibited items – What Not To Pack
Here are a number of other items that must not be taken on board an aircraft or through security, either as hand luggage or in the hold. Please do not pack the following anywhere in your carry on or checked-in luggage:
|Flammable liquids and solids||Oxidisers|
|Organic peroxides||Gas cylinders|
|Infectious substances||Wet car cell batteries|
|Instruments containing magnets||Instruments containing mercury|
|Non-safety matches, firelighters, lighter fuel||Paints, thinners|
|Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller||Acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda|
|Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper||Radioactive materials|