Heathrow Expansion Information
Creating a third runway at Heathrow is expected to almost double the amount of passengers that Heathrow deals with each year from around 72 million to 130 million by 2040, whilst the number of flights will also see a huge increase, from around 470,000 per year to 740,000 per year.
Key dates for the expansion of Heathrow*
- Winter of 2017/18 – Public consultation on the impact of the third runway will be put forward to MPs for a vote.
- 2019 – Heathrow airport should, by 2019, submit applications for planning permission.
- 2020 – Inspectors will then recommend it to the secretary of state for final approval.
- Between 2025 – 2029 the third runway and sixth terminal will be built.
*The dates above are subject to change.
- Heathrow will be better connected to Central and East London with a new Crossrail link.
- Bus and Coach interchange at Heathrow will be expanded and linked to 5 different motorway networks.
- Better access to Western Rail will improve connections to the West and South West.
- HS2 connection with Old Oak Common will provide a faster option to and from the Midlands and the North.
Possible future long haul destinations
Estimated Flight Time
Dakar, Port Harcourt, Khartoum, Mombasa, Lilongwe, Harare, Durban
8 hours, 11 minutes
Portland, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Antonio, Panama City
10 hours, 12 minutes
Caracas, Bogotá, Quito, Lima, Santiago, Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte
11 hours, 45 minutes
Baghdad, Dammam, Peshewar, Goa, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Kathmandu, Kolkata, Chongqing, Hanoi, Wuhan, Fuzhou, Nanjing, Nagoya, Osaka, Ho Chi Minh City, Penang, Jakarta, Denpasar-Bali
10 hours, 32 minutes
19 hours, 15 minutes
Possible future short haul destinations
UK routes (Including Channel Islands)
Non European routes
Isle Of Man, Inverness, Dundee, Prestwick, Carlisle, Durham Tees, Liverpool, Humberside, Doncaster, Norwich, Londonderry, Jersey, Guernsey
Almeria, Bordeaux, Crete, Innsbruck, Lanzarote, Montpellier, Nantes, Naples, Paphos, Seville, Tenerife, Thessaloniki, Valencia, Verona
Marrakesh, Sharm El-Sheikh