Facilities for Those with Special Needs
London Heathrow Airport is reasonably friendly to disabled people and those needing special assistance. All terminals offer:
- Wider access pathways
- Telephones at a height accessible to wheelchair users
- Disabled toilet facilities
- Assistance points with induction loops
- Reserved seating for disabled people in check-in areas
For general advice and information regarding the special needs facilities at Heathrow Airport call +44 (0)844 335 1801 or Heathrow minicom service for deaf or hard of hearing on +44 (0)20 8745 7950.
Tips for Disabled Air Passengers
You should compare the arrangements offered by different airlines before making your booking and be sure to check whether the cost of any special assistance is included in the price of your ticket.
Inform your airline of your particular needs in good time and check the policy of your airline if you wish to remain in your own wheelchair to the aircraft door rather than transfer to an airline wheelchair at check-in.
Remember that there are often long walking distances within airports and that this may cause you to require assistance. Pre-arranging any necessary assistance will ensure that it's available and that no time is lost in waiting for it to be arranged once you arrive at the airport.
There are Special Assistance points located throughout Heathrow Airport in all Terminals. At these points they will have induction loops as well as offering other assistance to passengers.
Reserved seating for disabled people will also aim to have induction loops (look out for the 'sympathetic ear' symbol).
The locations of the Special Assistance points are as follows:
- Check-In: Near Zone A.
- Departures: Near the exit to Gates B28-B49 and Terminal 2.
- Check-In: Near Security.
- Departures: Near the exit to Gates B28-B49 and Terminal 1 Departures.
- Terminal 2B Departures: Next to the toilets, near Gate B34.
- Check-In: Opposite the entrance to Security, near Krispy Kreme.
- Departures: In the corner past the toilets once you come out from Security, near World Duty Free.
- Check-In: Near the Excess Baggage Company.
- Departures: Behind World Duty Free, to the left past Costa.
- Check-In: Opposite Zone G.
- Departures Terminal 5B: Opposite WHSmith, between the seating areas.
- Departures Terminal 5C: Opposite World Duty Free.
- Arrivals: Next to the Information Point and WHSmith.
If you have an assistance or guide dog, please check our section on Flying with Guide/Assistance Dogs.
For comprehensive information about disabled air travel visit Flying with Disability.